Life's problems are often eased by hot milky drinks.

--Barbara Pym

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Serendipity Claire Cami Dress


OK, I loved the idea of this dress. It looked like it would diminish my belly and make me look fabulous. Instead I look as wide as a house. Looking at the photos, I might be able to improve the dress with some darts to remove the extra fabric in the back of the bodice, but I think that having a contrasting color for the waistband is always going to make my midsection more prominent. I also think that having the waist several inches higher than my natural waist makes me look wider than necessary. I might make this dress again and try to improve it, but right now I don't know if it's worth it.


I would like to point out some adorable features to the photos which are not related to my sewing. One is the potty chair in the background, we've had good success with that lately, the other is the circle of letters above my head. That is the Marriage Award, given to me and Kevin by our eldest. I believe it's a sort of 'thanks for making me legitimate' plaque. I may keep it forever. I should actually place it next to our framed marriage certificate, it hangs over our bed, giving a bit of government approval to all our works.

2 comments:

  1. oh man! I had high hopes for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you mean! I've just tried my first Claire Cami, I've made the above-knee-version and I feel huge in it!
    Besides that I am 4 inches taller than the average woman described in the pattern. I am going to give it another try and make the pattern one size smaller, lengthen the bodice and making it tunic-size. I hope that will work.

    ReplyDelete