Life's problems are often eased by hot milky drinks.

--Barbara Pym

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Upcycled sweater


My favorite kind of project! It was very quick, only a few hours. I took two ruined sweaters and combined them to make a new sweater for Willa. The first sweater formed the base. It was a v-neck but I cut it open to make a cardigan. I cut the sleeves of the second sweater in half lengthwise and used those to make triangular panels that I inserted into slits cut in the bottom half of the first sweater. Then I cut strips off of the remainder of the sleeves to form a button band and sewed them on. I used the body of the second sweater and all the remaining scraps of sleeves to make the hood, then I took some red corduroy and made a border for the hood and button bands. I made some rather atrocious buttonholes using my sewing machine and sewed on the buttons. I love this! Willa and I would both have liked the skirt to be a bit fuller, but then I couldn't have added the hood. Oh, well. There's always next time.






1 comment: