Life's problems are often eased by hot milky drinks.

--Barbara Pym

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Feeding the addiction

I've just subscribed to Burdastyle magazine--because I need more projects? Not really. But I need a sewing fix on a regular basis and books and fabric and blogs (and actual sewing of course) aren't enough. I want more and more. I just received my first copy of Ottobre magazine. There's a lovely pair of tweed toddler pants that I think I'll make up, and there's a fleece coat that is darling! (Although I do seem to react strongly to getting fake fur in my eyes. I may need to wear safety glasses and do the cutting outside.) However, do my children really need more clothes? Probably not, even if they're really, really cute. I also subscribed to Ottobre's women's magazine but on first glance I don't see anything that I want to make. Isn't that sad. Burda will probably be better, and if I ever get a dress form I'll probably be much more inclined to actually make clothes for myself.

Anyway, today I'm plugging away on the Avalon jacket. The burgundy side has been assembled and top-stitched, and I made some button-loops from the burgundy corduroy to replace the ribbon loops for lacing the back. I'm just placing the ribbons for the sleeves and the front and back trim. I'm considering adding a small round collar and looking into other trim options (maybe a fabric rose?) I have to keep reminding myself of the fact that the jacket is reversible. I've already had to talk myself out of adding some beading --it would just be uncomfortable when it was on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment