Life's problems are often eased by hot milky drinks.

--Barbara Pym

Monday, November 8, 2010

How my fabric diet isn't really working out.

I did great for almost a week. But then I went to Joann's to pick up some notions. They should keep the notions in a separate store so that I can't see the fabric when I go in for ribbons. So I came out with yards and yards of clearance cottons that I really don't have a project for yet.


 Yesterday I decided to make myself Vogue 2683, only I didn't have any knit fabric to make a muslin out of and I certainly wasn't going to risk my lovely brown knit  on an unproven pattern. So I went south and hit the thrift stores looking for knit cotton sheets. First stop I hit gold, three top sheets in bright grass green, hot pink and neon orange. Only I don't want to cut those up for muslins --they're too valuable for children's clothing. So I kept hunting and ended up buying two more sheets plus a length of green linen with some interesting flower decals on it. Now I have yet another gigantic stack of fabric. My huge bin of knit fabric is already overflowing and I can't think of where to put the new fabric.


Regarding Vogue 2683, I only have the pattern and the envelope. I don't have the instructions. This will, I am certain, lead to some very amusing mistakes. For example, I spent an hour last night drawing seam allowances on to my pattern pieces. This morning it occurred to me that Vogue probably includes fabric allowances just as most American companies do. Oops!  Looks like I get to do more cutting!

I am planning to make view A, with the uneven hem. I had a favorite knit dress when I was in my 20s (I may have mentioned this before), it was from Bloomingdales, cut like this one on top with a lovely uneven hem. It was black. I wore it with black tights and some gorgeous italian crinkly fabric black lace up boots. I don't think that any photos of this ensemble exist. Isn't that sad? I should have taken more pictures when I was young. Anyway, I am obviously trying to recapture my glory days, mid-life crisis and all that.

7 comments:

  1. I so would have wanted to see a photo of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's entirely possible that it wasn't as cool as I remember. That's what photos are for I suppose --to remind us of what our reality was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, to me it sounds a little goth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little bit. I always feel like I look a bit like a Campbell's Soup kid, so you have to imagine one of them in a goth outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I can see that! So I have decided to try grain and sugar free for 30 days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun!I always enjoy a nice restricted diet. I'm doing the Candida diet myself. I had an apple and some milk yesterday so I guess I fell off the wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no!

    I am on day 4. We shall see. The grains are just too convenient and filling.

    ReplyDelete