Life's problems are often eased by hot milky drinks.

--Barbara Pym

Monday, November 1, 2010

Purple Rain Avalon






It's mostly finished. I still need to put some ribbon around the cuffs and I'm planning to crochet some purple frog closures and to make a gold flower to pin at the collar. This was planned as the companion to the Early American Bordello Insa skirt that I made last spring. I found this difficult fabric much easier to deal with the second time around. Since it has a tendency to unravel as soon as you cut it, I singed all of the edges right away. This melted the ends and kept my fabric nice and sound until I sewed it up tight. Unfortunately, my choice of lining fabric was not a good. It tended to burn instead of melt, so I ended up with lots of frayed ends. I eventually applied some light interfacing and that helped. I need a better singing system than a bic lighter though. My fingers got sore and the lighter got very, very hot!

I had a lot of difficulty making choices for this jacket. I couldn't decide on a lining, and now I think I should have gone with a different on. I ended up running out of the gold and had to use a purple stripe for the sleeve lining. I also sewed the front lining to the back wrong way around so I added the blue ribbon to cover the seams instead of unpicking and re-sewing. I added some lavender ribbon up and down the front and back, and then went back and unpicked it all.

I love the way this turned out. I keep thinking of Prince when I work on it, all it needs is a billowy neckpiece to make it perfect for him. I completely adore the gold ruffles on the back. I would like a touch of gold at the cuffs and collar but I'm not sure how I'm going to get it there.

Just as a side note, when Willa got dressed this morning she put on only clothes that I had made for her --the ruffled Feliz dress, Imke hoody, and a pair of pants with a lovely indian print of animals on it. It made me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment